I've really been enjoying reading a blog called Into Mind lately, and particularly the articles on hair, skin and beauty. Into Mind has encouraged me to finally clear out the Drawer of Doom (c'mon, we've all got one) and think about what I actually need and use. For example, I own twelve nail polishes - what do I actually use? Three. A clear nail hardener, a mushroomy colour and a poppy red for summer. The rest? Totally superfluous.
Inspired by this, I decided to take a serious look at my beauty routines and get rid of the excess. I feel like I've really hit my stride with my hair at least, so why do I own all this extra? In this post I want to write down my essentials, mostly as a reference so I can look back and see what was really working for me.
- Bumble and Bumble Creme de Coco shampoo
- Naked Bounce Kelp and Avocado Oil Curl-Defining Conditioner
- Tigi Bed Head Totally Baked Volumising Hair Meringue
- Tigi Catwalk Session Series Salt Spray
- No7 Soft and Soothed Gentle Cleanser
- Lush Breath of Fresh Air Toner
- Dr Hauscka Normalising Day Oil
- Sanctuary Lift and Brighten Eye Complex (I think - the writing wore off the tube almost immediately. It's lovely and oily, so I'll have to figure it out before it runs out!)
- A mask of greek yogurt mixed with honey and something exfoliating - usually ground oats or almonds but currently Balm Balm Organic Hibiscus Face Mask, which is a powdered exfoliator that you mix with liquid to form a paste. Mixed with greek yogurt, I get the exfoliation plus the plumping and moisturizing of the yogurt and honey (not pictured).
I really like Into Mind's concept of having layers of makeup for different occasions. I was inspired to write down my layers, and it really does simplify your routine.
Layer 1 - casual daytime
- No7 Beautiful Skin BB Cream in Fair
- Benefit Brow Zings in Medium
- Either Burt's Bees lip balm or Revlon Lip Butter in Pink Truffle
- Any old Mascara, usually Great Lash
- Eyeliner on the top lid
- Soap and Glory Marvelips (a fantastic nude crayon) or one of my many red crayons
- Maybelline Colour Tattoo Cream Shadow in Permanent Taupe
- Bit of eyeliner on lower lid
- Translucent powder
So, that's my Spring beauty roundup! Do you have any trusty items or secret products to share? I'm still looking for my BB cream/tinted moisturizer holy grail...