Wednesday, 17 April 2013

Skin, Hair and Beauty: Spring 2013


I've really been enjoying reading a blog called Into Mind lately, and particularly the articles on hair, skin and beauty. Into Mind has encouraged me to finally clear out the Drawer of Doom (c'mon, we've all got one) and think about what I actually need and use. For example, I own twelve nail polishes - what do I actually use? Three. A clear nail hardener, a mushroomy colour and a poppy red for summer. The rest? Totally superfluous.

Inspired by this, I decided to take a serious look at my beauty routines and get rid of the excess. I feel like I've really hit my stride with my hair at least, so why do I own all this extra? In this post I want to write down my essentials, mostly as a reference so I can look back and see what was really working for me.


 Hair
  • Bumble and Bumble Creme de Coco shampoo
  • Naked Bounce Kelp and Avocado Oil Curl-Defining Conditioner
  • Tigi Bed Head Totally Baked Volumising Hair Meringue
  • Tigi Catwalk Session Series Salt Spray
This combination of hair goo is really working for me. These products are light, long-lasting and smell amazing - I only need to wash my hair once per week at the moment, which is brilliant. My Mum gets a lot of free products from the salon she goes to, so I can usually get the Tigi products for nowt!


Skin

Daily:
  • No7 Soft and Soothed Gentle Cleanser
  • Lush Breath of Fresh Air Toner
  • Dr Hauscka Normalising Day Oil
  • Sanctuary Lift and Brighten Eye Complex (I think - the writing wore off the tube almost immediately. It's lovely and oily, so I'll have to figure it out before it runs out!)
Every few days (or when I remember)
  • A mask of greek yogurt mixed with honey and something exfoliating - usually ground oats or almonds but currently Balm Balm Organic Hibiscus Face Mask, which is a powdered exfoliator that you mix with liquid to form a paste. Mixed with greek yogurt, I get the exfoliation plus the plumping and moisturizing of the yogurt and honey (not pictured).
I'm not totally sold on all these products. When things start to run out I'll probably replace a lot with Sanctuary products - they use lots of natural oils and I've never bought a bad product from them. I also don't plan to buy any more face masks - greek yogurt is amazing and very versatile.


Makeup

I really like Into Mind's concept of having layers of makeup for different occasions. I was inspired to write down my layers, and it really does simplify your routine.

Layer 1 - casual daytime
  • No7 Beautiful Skin BB Cream in Fair
  • Benefit Brow Zings in Medium
  • Either Burt's Bees lip balm or Revlon Lip Butter in Pink Truffle
Layer 2 - work or dressier daytime
  • Any old Mascara, usually Great Lash
  • Eyeliner on the top lid
  • Soap and Glory Marvelips (a fantastic nude crayon) or one of my many red crayons
Layer 3 - dressy daytime or night
  • Maybelline Colour Tattoo Cream Shadow in Permanent Taupe
  • Bit of eyeliner on lower lid
  • Translucent powder
When you think about it, that's about 10 products in all (I have a few lip products). That's so easy! I don't wear loads of makeup so I really don't need any more than this. I love all these products except the BB Cream - I'd like to try Kiehls BB Cream or Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer. I'm working on getting rid of any extras and really streamlining my collection. I was a bit of a teenage punk and used to wear very bold eye looks every day (think tiny leopard print painted on using liquid eyeliner and glitter) so I do have a lot of makeup, but most of it gets very little use.


So, that's my Spring beauty roundup! Do you have any trusty items or secret products to share? I'm still looking for my BB cream/tinted moisturizer holy grail...

10 comments:

  1. I love lush products.especially their shampoo. To bad it's that expensive!

    I'm having a giveaway on my blog, last day! fell free to come by!
    http://remplirlesblancs.blogspot.fr/2013/04/polka-dot-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know how refreshing it is to see someone whose routine is as light/lazy as mine :o)

    I've only just started buying a little bit of makeup more because I didn't really have any or any which I had was free (bonus time samples or magazine freebies) and I thought maybe it was time I chose some for myself. I did succumb to Dr Jarts Beauty Balm this year though and that seems quite light and blends in to the skin quite well. I have no idea how much to put on but whether it's a little or a squeeze bit too much, it all works in quite well. I have to say I get this funny rubbed up bits where I think I haven't had time to let my moisturiser settle and it's product layering on product which is rubbing itself off - I use the old fingers and basically rub everything in like a moisturiser - told you - I have no idea. And I have a couple of lip glosses now in a colour other than nude but if the colour is too obvious - I blot. I really do subscribe to the lightly does it school of makeup. I'd love to offer secret tips and fab products to try but I'm still learning at my grand old age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to try the Dr. Jart BB cream - the No.7 isn't quite right but I want to use it all up before I buy a new one. Because I use face oil I have to wander around and do other things while it soaks in so my makeup doesn't streak. Makeup minimalists unite!

      Delete
  3. I've been using a BB cream by Dr Jart as well - not the beauty balm but something else by the same brand. Works pretty well and the consistency suited my skin better than the Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser. I think the Laura Mercier one works better for someone who plans to make up the rest of the face...something about the tints made me look like I forgot to make up the rest of my face. I love anything one step for mornings so i've been trying samples of tinted moisturiser and bb creams for years...happy that i found one that works.

    maybe i should take a leave from your book about greek yogurt and stop buy face masks...but greek yogurt is expensive in supermarkets here too, so i always feel like it's a waste not to eat it, haha. I like a good deep cleanse mask because my skin clogs a lot in this city...been wondering whether i should buy the clarisonic brush because even with exfoliation i can't keep away blackheads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so intrigued by Dr Jart - I've heard so many good things! We eat loads of yogurt and it's not expensive here so I always have it lying around, but there's lots of other great masks you can make out of household items. I read that honey is excellent for blackheads and clogged pores - I'm going to try it today.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the mention! I'm also currently looking for a new tinted moisturiser/ BB cream or sheer foundation for when my Bobbi Brown one runs out. Is the No.7 BB cream any good? I have a couple of those 5 £ Boots vouchers lying around :) The greek yogurt idea is genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore your blog - thanks for reading! I'm not completely sold on the No.7 BB cream. My mum tried it and she's about as pale as you, and it just looked a bit orange. I think there are better out there and I'm still experimenting.

      Delete
  5. I've been wanting to try the Bumble & Bumble shampoo and conditioner range! What do you think of it?
    B
    x
    www.theflowergirlblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the Bumble and Bumble shampoo - I literally wash my hair once a week and it doesn't even look greasy. It's really pricey but in my opinion, worth it for the convenience alone.

      Delete